Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Future of Educational Technology


     The future of technology in education is only as limited as one's imagination. The possibilities for learners and educators are endless if they are willing to explore and go beyond the traditional practices. While hurdles exists for adoption they can be overcome.  In Adult Learning in the Information Age (Laureate Education, 2011) Dede stated, "...the workplace is dramatically changing because of information and communication technologies" (p. 4). My journey in exploring various emerging technologies in education led me to several tools that I can leverage in my professional practice.  I have selected the following three tools from my classmates to add to my toolkit.

Karma Tycoon - www.karmatycoon.com


     Karma Tycoon is an online strategy game that focuses on solving community issues (such as poverty, homelessness and mental health) through an organization (Purposeful Games, 2007). Kurt W. introduced this game that encourages learners to look at the factors that cause these issues and discover ways to combat and solve them. I selected this game for use in my professional practice because of its unique focus on community and social issues.  I can envision incorporating this into executive leadership courses along with my support of middle management.   Community is important in my organization and I believe key stakeholders could benefit from this activity.


     Gloria N. shared this site that highlights the top 10 technology trends for 2012 which includes gamification. This resource shares a wealth of information that provides options for further exploration related to this technology.  I selected this technology as it is a great way to keep learners engaged and reinforce key concepts. In my professional practice, it will be used in a variety of my courses especially those that focus on products and operations.  I will also use it for collaboration activities in my leadership courses.  The options are endless in how this technology can support learning.

Digital Citizenship - www.teachinctrl.org/

     Digital citizenship is an important topic that is often forgotten about in this technology age.  As an adult educator, it is critical that we introduce and remind our learners of the importance related to digital citizenship. Natasha N. shared this site that assists educators in facilitating these topics with learners.  I selected this tool because it provides the content in lessons.  These lessons span from communication and collaboration to media literacy (InCtrl, 2016). I will incorporate this tool into my professional practice with my work with managers and coaches. Some of the lessons will be directly included in their curricula while other topics available would be provided as supplemental reading for professional development.


References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Adult learning in the 
     information age. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Neal, Natasha (2016). Educational technologies. Retrieved 
     from https://nnealblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/technologies-related-to-
     digital-citizenship-ethics-and-netiquette/.

Nuckles, Gloria. (2016). Gloria nuckles. Retrieved
     from http://gloriajnuckles.blogspot.com/2016/11/week-2-blog-assignment.html.

Purposeful Games. (2007). Karma Tycoon – About the game. Retrieved
http://purposefulgames.info/post/18006475665/karma-tycoon.

Teach InCtrl. (2016). Teaching digital citizenship. Retrieved 
     from http://www.teachinctrl.org.

Watkins, Kurt. (2016). Re-examining educational technologies. Retrieved  
     from http://kurtwilkinsedtech.blogspot.com.au/.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Nicole, First let me say thank you for selecting my gamification post to add to your tool kit. Your selection of Natasha N's digital citizenship post www.teachinctrl.org is vital information for the adult learner. Within my correctional professional practice, I would provide digital citizenship websites to adult offenders who are within 6 months of release. Most adult offender students have voiced an interest in online learning. These adult potential online learners need concrete digital citizenship tools that will enhance their online communication. Nicole these past weeks reading your post have provided me a vast amount of knowledge. THANK YOU. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria.
      Thank you so much for the feedback. Your professional practice sounds very intriguing and rewarding. This has definitely been a great journey of discovery and knowledge. I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences and knowledge.

      Delete
  2. Nicole,
    I too can see the strength of including gaming in my lesson design that will help me transition into a student focused learning activity and promote continuous improvement with my students. I can see how I could also use Karma Tycoon. I love that it provides a way for students to work on real world problems as this adds authenticity to the learning experience.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete